English as a Second Language (ESL) programs offer international students the chance to learn English or improve their English language skills.


Intensive English Programs (IEPs)

  • Can be taken for personal or professional reasons and not for academic credit.
  • May also be taken to prepare for U.S. college or university admission, and some IEPs offer “bridge programs” that help students transfer into an academic program.
  • May include classes designed for any level of English proficiency.
  • Usually require 20-30 hours per week of intensive English language study.
  • Are offered at U.S. colleges and universities and at independent English language institutions.

American Language and Culture Programs (ALCPs)

  • Are usually taken for academic credit to prepare for a U.S. college or university degree program.
  • Often require an intermediate or advanced level of English language proficiency before enrollment.
  • May be taken to improve a specific academic skill, such as reading, writing, or grammar.
  • Will assist with adjustment to U.S. culture and campus life.

Test preparation

  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL),
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS),
  • The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
  • The Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic.