English language training in New Zealand is often called ESOL training – English for Speakers of Other Languages. Courses could specialise in everyday English to help with daily life, academic English for study, or business English for work.

Courses are available from many different organisations and learning institutions and may be full-time or part-time.

  • Our English courses are designed to help you meet international English standards.
  • English courses are flexible and you can start at any time to suit your needs.
  • Learning English in New Zealand will prepare you for future study and life in NZ and around the world.

 Many international students enrol in English for Academic Study courses prior to formal academic studies. Special English language courses are available throughout the year, and range from four weeks to 12 months.

Cambridge Exam preparation

This course develops your language and gets you ready for the Cambridge Exams, which are accepted by universities, employers and governments around the world.English Plus Courses.

English for specific purposes

If you want to work in an English-speaking environment or make yourself more employable, this course will help you. It’s ideal for working in hospitality, tourism and many other businesses.

General English

If you want to improve your English to help you communicate, work or travel, this course is for you. It covers reading, writing, listening and speaking at all levels, from beginner to advanced.

English for academic purposes

If English is not your first language and you want to study at university, this course is ideal. It develops your English and other important skills such as writing essays and reports, listening, discussing and reading effectively.

IELTS and TOEFL courses

If you need to use English as the main language of communication for work or study, these courses will help you get there. They will assess your proficiency and get you ready for the IELTS or TOEFL exams.

English + Work

Combine studying English with real work experience including Demi au Pair and Internships.


Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs)
Private Training Establishments (PTEs)